Hats Storytime - Week of January 18, 2010

This week we talked about hats.

Our Toddler Storytime Lineup included:
Song - Fingerpopping from Preschool Aerobic Fun
Introduction to hats and the letter 'H'
Book - Who's Under That Hat? by David A. Carter
Flannel - H-A-T
Song - Clap Your Hands from Wiggleworms Love You
Book - Silly Little Goose by Nancy Tafuri
Song with Props - On My Head I Have A Hat (with hats on sticks)
Song - Shake My Sillies Out from More Singable Songs by Raffi




Our Preschool Storytime Lineup included:
Song - Can't Wait to Celebrate from Jim Gill's Irrational Anthem
Book - A Hat For Minerva Louise by Janet Morgan Stoeke
Song with Props - On My Head I Have A Hat (with hats on sticks)
Book - The Magic Rabbit by Annette LeBlanc Cate
Song - Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes
Flannel Story - Spunky the Clown
Book - A Boy and His Bunny by Sean Bryan
Song - Jumping and Counting from Jim Gill's Irrational Anthem



Rhymes:
On My Head I Have a Hat
(to the tune of 'This Old Man' - fun to do with an actual hat)
On my head*, I have a hat.
It is such a silly hat.
It makes my head* wibble wobble to and fro.
Where else can my little hat go?

*fill this in next time with a new body part- feet, hand, nose, etc.)

Ready to Read Skill: Letter Knowledge (ABC's)
Letter knowledge means knowing that letters are different from each other, recognizing them everywhere, and knowing the sounds they make. Each week at Storytime we introduce a letter and discuss the sound it makes and words that begin with that letter. This week, we used a special flannel and talked about spelling and sounds for the words hat, cat, and bat. At home, you can do the same kind of thing - talk to your child and get them excited about what letter words begin with, how they sound, and other words that sound similar and the letters those words start with. Another way to work on your child's Letter Knowledge is to use alphabet magnets to spell things on your refrigerator, or let them trace letter shapes with their fingers on a plate of whipped cream or shaving foam. Most importantly, make learning letters fun for you and your child!

0 comments:

Post a Comment